I am a bearded guy on journey with Jesus Christ, my wife, and two kiddos. I am the founding church planter/pastor of Metanoia Church in Ellicott City, MD.
I created this blog as a space to interact with fellow spiritual pilgrims and ministry practitioners on journey with Jesus Christ.
Two Purposes of My Blog
If you’re here, chances are you resonate with the idea that your spirituality, your faith, is a journey. I love how Peter refers to believers in Jesus as sojourners, exiles, and pilgrims in this world (1 Peter 2:11).
I blog to encourage the spiritual pilgrim.
I have served in vocational ministry since 1999 and I desire to serve my fellow ministry practitioners.
I also blog to equip the ministry practitioner.
Here are two blog posts that further explain these two purposes for my blog:
What You’ll Find Here
I generally post once each week. If you haven’t already, please subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss out on new posts. (RSS and email subscribe are at the upper right side of this page… just scroll up.)
My posts primarily fit in the following five categories flowing from Jesus’ Great Commandment found in Mark 12:28-31.
- Heart: Devotionals, prayers, and other encouragements to spark passion and desire for the spiritual journey.
Most popular post: Jesus Was Not A Great Teacher
- Soul: Descriptions and/or explanations of ancient and contemporary spiritual disciplines and exercises.
Most popular post: What Are “Spiritual Disciplines?”
- Mind: Resources on discipleship, spiritual theology, and spiritual growth/formation.
Most popular post: On Earning and Effort: Twisting God’s Arm?
- Strength: Helping other ministry practitioners retool and rethink Christian ministry to emphasize spiritual transformation.
Most popular post: Ministry Success: Introduction
- Neighbor: Exploring the missional and communal aspects of Christian spirituality.
Most popular post: The Church and Mental Illness
A Little Bit More About Me
I have a couple of degrees: a BA double major in English (Creative Writing) and Communication Arts from Carson-Newman University, a Master of Divinity from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry (Spiritual Formation) from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
I bounced around all over the USA southeast and mid-Atlantic over the years. I’ve lived in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia (twice), and Maryland (three times).
I am half-New York (Queens) Jewish and half-moutains-of-North Carolina Baptist. My wife is half-Puerto Rican Catholic and half-Louisianna Cajun Catholic. We pretty much knew that when we got married our wedding ceremony would offend someone. Thankfully it turned out to be a huge party!
My athletic allegiances are just as scattered:
- College football: Alabama Crimson Tide
- College basketball: Maryland Terps
- MLB: Baltimore Orioles
- NFL: Baltimore Ravens
- NHL: Boston Bruins
- MLS: I’m a free agent. Suggestions…?
So is my experience in vocational ministry:
- Pastor of Student Ministries (Crosspointe Community Church, Roswell, GA)
- Pastor of Worship and Arts (Crosspointe)
- Church Planter (Metanoia Church, Ellicott City, MD)
- Lead Pastor (Metanoia)
I am a church planter assessor and coach for the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware (BCM/D). I also co-facilitate retreats for new church planters with the BCM/D.
I have also:
- Worked at BSA camps for seven summers
- Served up espresso as a barista
- Roasted coffee for a local coffee shop for 4 years
- Babysat for 1 day before realizing I didn’t have the stomach for snot slugs (being a dad has changed that)
- Never seen Its a Wonderful Life
- Walked on the frozen Bering Sea just off the Alaskan coast
- Played soccer, ran track, and wrestled in high school
- Been in 7 musicals, 4 dramas, and written/directed/produced a two-act play
Let’s Connect Via Social Media and Email
Let’s Connect In Person
When possible, I like to share what I am learning with others in a three-dimensional kind of way. One of my great joys is facilitating retreats for our church and other Christian ministries. CLICK HERE for more info on how I can serve you for retreat facilitation or speaking engagements.
I’m also available at times for a Google+ Hangout, Skype, or FaceTime chat.
Let’s Connect Through My Publications
I write more than what you see on my blog. CLICK HERE for some other things that I have written and where you can find them.
I am so glad you are joining me/us on this journey! May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.